6. Summary & Suggestions
Purpose of Practicum
The SEA Teacher Project 2023 or Pre-Service Student Teacher Exchange in Southeast Asia is a project that aims to encourage student teachers from universities in Southeast Asia to gain hands-on teaching experience (practicum) in schools in other countries in Southeast Asia:
- To help student teachers develop their teaching and pedagogical skills.
- To encourage student teachers to prepare themselves for the future.
- To help student teachers to develop themselves as future teachers to become professional educators in the future. Enrich and broaden their horizons in the teaching profession.
- Train English language skills, so that student teachers can gain a broader view of education at the regional and world levels.
- Introducing student teachers to diverse teaching and learning situations and opportunities, and the value of flexibility.
Practicum Procedure
The SEA teacher Project batch 9 was carried out for approximately 1 month, starting from September 16, 2023 until October 13, 2023 at the closing ceremony. The practicum process is divided into 4 parts, the observation stage, teaching practice, teaching practice and reflection, and the last stage is the final demonstration (evaluation), creating a blog and closing ceremony.
The first stage is the observation stage, where I observe the school situation, school facilities, school provisions, learning and teaching systems in the classroom, and consult with the accompanying teacher (CT). The second stage is teaching practice, after observing for 1 week I will start teaching in class as a form of implementation and adaptation that was obtained during observation.
The third stage is teaching practice and reflection, this week I am still doing teaching practice and still familiarizing myself with classroom management and also evaluating what parts still need to be improved while getting advice and input from the accompanying teacher.
The last stage is the final demonstration (evaluation), creating a blog, and closing ceremony. At this stage, when I teach in class, I will be assessed and evaluated by the supervising teacher and teachers from the UIC campus. After completion, I can create a blog and will be closed with a closing ceremony held by the UIC campus.
Results of Practicum
The results of this practicum program I got were:
Gaining a lot of knowledge, especially in my field, namely Sociology education, I gained knowledge on how to teach and how to manage a good class, how to handle students in class, and new media that can be used to support learning. Through this program, I was able to see and open my insight into the international education system. This program also gave me the opportunity to improve my English skills and learn more about different cultures and languages.
In the other side, this program made me a more mature person, I was able to experience being away from my family and living alone in a foreign country. I also became more honed and confident in speaking English. It was in this program that I first practiced teaching in schools, this program helped me to learn about their education, culture, and language so that I felt that I had something different that my friends my age did not have.
Overall Impression
I learned a lot and gained a lot of knowledge not only about education, I was also able to further develop my social skills and also develop a sense of responsibility and teamwork. In this program, I had the opportunity to learn a new language and culture that I have never learned. Participating in this program really helped me improve my English and made me more confident. Being part of the SEA-Teacher batch 9 2023 program is a privilege that I feel very grateful for and proud of.
Suggestions for Future Improvement
Suggestions for future improvement, I would like to suggest the next batch of SEA-Teachers:
- Sending universities and receiving schools should collaborate and cooperate more with each other.
- My suggestion is that the duration of this program may extend to 2 to 3 months.
- My suggestion is to increase the quota of participants and add new majors to participate in this program.
- My suggestion is that practicum participants can also collaborate with their respective country consultants as when we practiced in Davao City, we collaborated with KJRI (Consulate General of The Republic of Indonesia).
Komentar
Posting Komentar